Today, the meat industry is more challenging than ever before, especially with the growing expectations with regard to animal health and the changing consumer behavior. The meat producers and the meat processors need to face the global competition, accept digital transformation and fulfil legal requirements. The ethical and moral demands from the consumer along with complying to food safety, provenance, traceability and regulatory standards is crucial to build trustworthy brands.
Let’s Eat fresh Again – ISKAPO meat market
Iskapalli is a small village located along the coast of Andhra Pradesh, where families used to catch fresh fish every single day and cut the meat just before it was cooked. The chicken, mutton and lamb were free range and fresh as ever. The demand for the same freshness and quality in the bigger cities triggered the birth of ISKAPO’s Meat Market. The promise to bring the freshest meat raised and cared by farmers just as in Iskapalli to the people in the city was the primary intent of ISKAPO.
ISKAPO is a part of BMR Retail, industry leaders in shrimp and exports. The brand’s identity invokes a nostalgic feeling of eating fresh meat carefully wrapped with an aquatic touch packaging. ISKAPO is a one stop shop for the freshest meat and cleanest cuts sold online, on mobile apps and at retail. A variety of farm fresh meat delivered at your doorstep!
The demand for fresh meat from retailers and consumers and ensuring hassle-free supply chain management is very challenging for ISKAPO.
ISKAPO’s dicey Challenges in the Meat Supply Chain
ISKAPO currently have an ERP system which has gaps that they need to address. On a day to day basis, they have multiple requirements and a number of tools and operations that they need to manage. They have a few challenges
- Managing the inventory of raw materials from different suppliers
- Generation of purchase orders along with streamlined inventory management
- Need for a digitized supply chain for their meat value chain
- Lack of visibility and end to end traceability to ensure food safety
- Tracking of Process wastage
- Necessity for streamlined processing
- Tracking of expiry dates of products to ensure freshness and food safety
- Customer engagement with end-to-end transparency.
Meaty Solutions with Blockchain Traceability
TraceX’s blockchain traceability platform provides the right solution to ISKAPO’s challenges. The platform enables digitization of the entire supply chain assuring greater operational efficiency, reduced costs, product and process management streamlined inventory and end to end meat traceability
ISKAPO uses the Trace-Pro, a post-harvest management module for its supply chain operations for achieving its desired results.
The following features are configured in the system.
The raw materials, semi-finished products and finished products are configured as apart of the inventory. The raw materials are procured from suppliers while the semi-finished products and finished products are used in processing. About 100 products of ISKAPO are configured as a part of the inventory in the system.
With all the products configured as a part of the inventory, each product gets a digital identity in the system. This allows ISKAPO to track their raw materials, semi-finished products and finished products at any point of time, facilitating recalls and waste management.
The process workflows are configured as per the different requirements with input and output product details. There is also a hold on the recipe management which ensures a quality and authentic product being packed.
Supply Chain Management
In order to realized end to end visibility among the stakeholders in the supply chain, the suppliers and retailers are configured in the system. While the external suppliers form the backward linkage, the retailers, delivery hubs and buyers constitute the forward linkage in the supply chain.
There is a need to house the different products like chicken, mutton and sea foods separately. Hence warehouse management helps to have control over the inventory of different products at different packhouses.
Custom Label Management
The custom labels are generated for every process so that the labels carry end to end information about the product journey. This ensures transparency and gives credibility to the quality of the product..
The user details along with their roles need to be configured in the system to give a better clarity on the roles and responsibilities of individuals in the value chain.
Along with these standard modules, TraceX has provided additional customized solutions to ISKAPO
Price List Management
Since there are a number of products and multiple suppliers , there is a necessity to have a price list for these materials. Unique price is mapped for different products procured from multiple suppliers which automatically gets updated as a part of the purchase order.
Purchase Order Management
A Purchase Order is raised to a supplier for raw materials and semi-finished products for further processing or transferring to a retail outlet. The information like product name, quantity required, required by date and price is available in the purchase order.
GRN and Quality Management
Traceability and Quality check parameters are very important in ensuring food safety in the value chain. The quality parameters like temperature , colour etc are monitored and the variations are captured and are listed in the return GRN to ensure consistency.
- The incoming raw materials are shown up as GRN in the web application
- On completion of GRN, the users update quality data and physically tag the raw materials and send them to the chiller for storage
- The pre-production picks the raw material based on FIFO for further manufacturing
- The processing details like quality, meat selection, grading, chopping are captured.
- A new batch code is generated for the processed and semi-finished meat.
- The trace code is printed on the label and attached to the storage container in the chiller.
- For primary packing operations, the manufacturing flow and recipe is selected.
- The primary packing and labelling is based on the final SKU to be manufactured.
- After primary packing a trace code for the final product is generated which is then dispatched to freeze containers
- The final packing is done based on Sales Orders, details of which are captured for traceability
- The primary and final packing carrying the QR code with the Trace ID enables comprehensive traceability.
Win-Win for ISKAPO and TraceX
ISKAPO is able to achieve greater operational efficiency with streamlined process management and end to end traceability of their meat products with TraceX’s blockchain powered traceability solutions.
Trace-Pro, the post-harvest management module of TraceX provides the right edge in realizing a robust supply chain to meet the demands of buyers and consumers in the meat ecosystem.